Monday, March 30, 2009

Fish Tom Yum (A Thai dish)

Hi there fellow bloggers and readers, it's been awhile since I last entered a new blog here. I have been busy with work, travel and study. Study, yup, I am studying the Thai language with the focus on reading Thai scripts but I can tell you it's really a tough job for someone who's not using it as his/her native tongue. Yesterday, our lesson kicked off with the usual drill of reading Thai words (easy words that even a Thai kindergartner can read but not for me...grrr!) until our conversation was dragged to cooking Tom Yum, a Thai dish that is gaining popularity in many countries now. My teacher shared the simple recipe of Fish Tom Yum and now I will (try...) share it to you in case you want to try it at home.
Ingredients:
1 pc galangal, sliced
2 pcs lemongrass, sliced
10 pcs or more of lime leaves
10 slices fish fillet
1/4 kilo mushroom, halved
5 pcs peeled tamarind
1/4 cup evaporated milk
4 cups water or broth
5 stalks coriander, chopped
3 stalks spring onion, chopped
5 pcs chili, sliced or whole
  1. Place the sliced galangal, lemongrass and lime leaves altogether in the water and bring to a boil.
  2. Put in the fillet fish, sliced mushroom and chili next until cooked. Do not stir.
  3. Add the peeled tamarind and pour in some fish sauce to taste.
  4. Boil for 3 more minutes then add the evaporated milk.
  5. Place in a bowl and garnish with spring onion and coriander.
  6. Serve it hot.

There you have it! Really simple, isn't it? I hope you will enjoy cooking this recipe as much as I did!

God bless!

1 comment:

Dinah said...

i have never tried cooking a Thai dish. you made this look really easy :-)